Sunday, June 7, 2015

Five Things I Learned From My Character






I anxiously await a release date for my YA novel, Too Be Honest. In between biting my nails and crossing my fingers that I'll learn the date soon, I decided to reflect on some interesting things I found out from my characters while writing the story. The hero, Chase, is an avid BMX rider. I had to do some research on this topic since I hadn't a clue what it entailed. I've listed five cool things I found out.



1. BMX racing and freestyle is a worldwide sport.



2. It was founded in the 1970s and began with children in California racing their bikes on a dirt track.



3. In 2003 the International Olympic Committee declared BMX a full medal competition.



4. There were too many freestyle air tricks to list so I'll tell you about a couple that caught my attention. The Superman-the rider removes his feet and extends them behind him to resemble Superman in the air. Decade-the rider holds onto the handle bars and throws himself or herself(girls compete too) around the bicycle then lands on the pedals.



5. The USA BMX Mid America Nationals are being held right now in Western Missouri.


I've developed a great respect for this sport after doing my research. These riders have to put in a lot of hard work and practice. I'm sure talent plays into it also. Chase taught me a lot about this sport! Next post I'll talk about what I learned from my heroin, Starla.

No comments:

Post a Comment